Ingredients• 7 ounces digestive biscuits
• 4 ounces whole pecans, roughly chopped
• 4 ounces pistachio nuts, peeled
• 10 glacé cherries (or dried sour cherries)
• 2 ready-made meringue nests, smashed up
• 5 ounces unsalted butter
• 1 tablespoon golden syrup
• 7 ounces good-quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
Break the biscuits into small pieces directly into a large bowl. Add the pecans, pistachio nuts and cherries and mix together. Put the rest of the ingredients into a separate, heatproof bowl and put on a low heat over a pan of simmering water until the butter and chocolate have melted.
Combine the biscuit mix with the chocolate mixture. Line a 20 x 30cm deep plastic container with plastic wrap, leaving plenty of extra wrap at the edges to help turn the cake out later. Whack everything into the container, place in the fridge to firm up then turn out and cut into cubes or slices.
This cake can be kept in an airtight container for a few days, and it actually improves in flavor.
Tip: For an even fruitier cake you can add some other dried fruits like apricots, figs, cranberries, apples or prunes along with the nuts and cherries!