1kg fresh crabs
1 cup tapioca flour
Oil for deep-frying
3 salted egg yolks (I used salted duck eggs)
5 bird's eye chillies, chopped
2 stalks curry leaves
3 tbsp butter
½ tsp salt or to taste
½ tsp pepper
1½-2 tsp sugar
3 tbsp evaporated milk
- Clean the crabs. Remove the pincers and trim the legs. Cut into 4 pieces.
- Boil salted eggs for 7-9 minutes. Remove the yolks and use a fork to mash the egg yolks finely.
- Make sure the crabs are dry, then toss them in tapioca flour. Deep-fry in hot oil till golden in colour and cooked. Remove and leave aside.
- Melt butter in a wok, sauté curry leaves and bird's eye chillies until aromatic. Add salted egg yolks, keep stirring until egg yolks are incorporated into the butter sauce.
- Add pepper, salt, sugar and evaporated milk then stir in pre-fried crabs. Stir-fry briskly to mix. Dish out and serve immediately.